Recent News:


get your answers here




Q: Don’t have a gun?

A: If you don’t have a gun to use in your CHL class, you can rent one but you will pay for the ammo at at the range. Just notify the instructor that you need a “Gun Rental” when you register for any class.

Q: When are your classes?

A: We hold 2 classes on Saturdays and one Monday every month. The morning session begins at 8:00AM and lasts 4-6 hours as mandated by Texas D.P.S.  The afternoon class begins at 2:00PM and laste 4-6 hours. For our complete and current schedule, click here.

Q: How long do the classes last?

A: Classes are half day classes, lasting at least the minimum 4 hours not including range time. The maximum amount of time in the classroom is 6 hours. This “window” depends on Q & A and classroom discussion.

Q: How poor do you have to be to be considered indigent?

A: According to federal poverty guidelines, you may be considered indigent if you are single and you earn $7,470 per year or less. The maximum income for indigence classification is $25,390 for a family of eight.

Q: Will a license from my home state be recognized under the reciprocal license provision?

A: The DPS will evaluate each state’s handgun licensing program to determine whether statutory reciprocity requirements are met. Laws in those states must be at least as stringent as federal eligibility requirements for buying a handgun for reciprocity to be allowed.

Q: If I am licensed in Texas, can I carry my concealed handgun in another state?

A: Your Texas license doesn’t allow you to carry a handgun in another state, unless that state recognizes Texas licenses. Contact the state you will be entering to find out if it recognizes Texas concealed handgun licenses.

Q: Can I get my money back if my application is not approved?

A: Sorry, fees for class tuition and State application fees are non-refundable. Please make sure you qualify before completing your application.

Q: Once I send my application in, how soon should I expect to get my license?

A: The department will make every effort to issue your license within 60 days or notify you that you did not meet the qualifications. If your application is incomplete or some other problem arises, processing may take up to 180 days.

Q: I retired from being a peace officer several years ago when this law was not in effect. Can I be “grand- fathered” and allowed to pay the $25 fee and waive the proficiency test?

A: Yes. Under an amendment to the statute, you may apply at any time after retirement. However, you must demonstrate proficiency through your agency before applying and must demonstrate proficiency annually through your agency after you receive the license.

Q: If I am a legal resident alien, can I get a license?

A: Under federal law, aliens who have been admitted to the U.S. under a non-immigrant visa are not qualified to purchase a handgun and therefore do not qualify for a license. As long as you were not admitted under a non-immigrant visa and are a legal resident of Texas, you may qualify.

Q: If I am in the military and was just transferred here, can I get a concealed handgun license?

A: If you intend to be a Texas resident, you may qualify.

Q: How can I prove my Texas residency?

A: Texas driver licenses or identification cards, voter registration cards, utility bill stubs and other official documents listing your address may be used to establish Texas residency.

Q: I spend a lot of time in Texas, but don’t live here year round. Can I get a license?

A: A new revision to the law allows people who live in states that don’t issue concealed handgun licenses to apply for Texas licenses. Additional fees may be charged to out-of-state applicants to cover the cost of conducting background checks in other states. If you live in a state that issues concealed handgun licenses, check to see if a reciprocity agreement is in place. Also, if you have a permanent residence in Texas and a Texas driver license or identification card, you may apply for a license even if you do not live here for the entire year.

Q: Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun?

A: Information may no longer be provided about specific, named individuals as a part of the public record. Recent legislation allows this information to be disclosed only to criminal justice agencies or in response to a subpoena.

Q: How long will my license be valid?

A: New permits are issued for four year terms.

Q: If I move, how do I change the address on my license?

A: You may contact the DPS Concealed Handgun Section to receive a change of address form, or you may send a letter including your full name, CHL number, old address and new address and a cashier’s check or money order for $25. You may call 1-800-224-5744 or write Texas Department of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Licensing Section, P.O. Box 15888, Austin, Texas, 78761-5888.

Q: How much will fingerprinting cost?

A: The Legislature has authorized law enforcement agencies to charge $9.95 with L1 Identity Solutions, Off Duty Armory does not provide this service.

Q: If I was convicted of DWI two years ago, can I still get a concealed handgun license?

A: No. DWI is at least a Class B misdemeanor, and you are ineligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or disorderly conduct. This includes cases that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication. If you have been convicted of two or more alcohol or drug-related offenses within the last 10 years, you may not be eligible.

Q: I was arrested four years ago for unlawfully carrying a weapon and the judge gave me deferred adjudication. Is this considered a conviction even though the charges eventually were dismissed?

A: Yes. The concealed gun law states that deferred adjudication will be treated as a conviction.

Q: If a judge ruled that I was delinquent on my child support in 1992, but I have since worked out an arrangement with the Attorney General’s office to pay off the debt, can I get a license?

A: Yes. If you have a payment plan with a government agency for back child support and the agency sends DPS a clearance letter, you may apply. Include a copy of the agreement and letter with your application materials. The concealed handgun law was designed to encourage those who have made no effort whatsoever to pay what they owe.

Q: If I spent time in a psychiatric care facility in the 1980s, will I be disqualified?

A: Qualification for a concealed handgun license depends on your current diagnosis. Past psychiatric treatment wouldn’t necessarily disqualify you. You should attach a letter from a licensed psychiatrist stating that your “condition is in remission and is not reasonably likely to develop at a future time,” as the concealed handgun law states.

Q: If I was arrested for a crime but the charges were dismissed, will my application be rejected?

A: No. Dismissals will not be grounds for denial, as long as you weren’t placed on probation or deferred adjudication prior to the dismissal.

Q: Do you have to meet all of the federal Brady Law requirements to get a license in Texas?

A: Yes. Texas law requires you to meet all state and federal laws regarding handgun possession.

Q: How can I find out if someone is a certified handgun instructor?

A: Updated lists will be available at most DPS offices and by calling 512-424-7293 or 424-7294 or 1- 800-224-5744.

Q: Can I take the handgun training class at the DPS?

A: CHL training and qualification classes are only given by DPS-certified private instructors.

Q: How much do the training classes cost?

A: The DPS has no control over how much instructors charge the general public for classes.

Q: What control does the DPS have over firearms instructors?

A: We certify them and can review their records and monitor their classes to make sure they are using the required curriculum.

Q: Will I need to have a gun before I begin my training class?

A: Off Duty Armory rents weapons for the CHL shooting proficiency test.

Q: Are police officers, retired police officers, judicial officers, ex-DPS or retired DPS officers required to take the handgun course for proficiency certification, or are they exempt?

A: Retired law enforcement officers are exempt from taking the handgun proficiency course. However, they must demonstrate weapons proficiency annually through a law enforcement agency. Active, commissioned peace officers also are exempt from taking the proficiency course. State and federal judicial officers must take an abbreviated course covering handgun proficiency and safe storage.

Q: If a student doesn’t pass the DPS-certified course, must the instructor return the applicant’s money?

A: The DPS doesn’t require the money to be returned. The CHL statute allows students 3 attempts to pass both the shooting proficiency and written tests.

Q: Will all classroom tests be in English only?

A: DPS does not specify the language in which the CHL course is taught. Off Duty Armory teaches the CHL class in English only. The state of Texas makes provisions, in some cases, for interpreters.

Q: Can I start carrying a concealed handgun as soon as I receive my license in the mail?

A: Yes.

Q: What does concealed mean? Can’t I carry my handgun in plain view?

A: No. The weapon can’t be visible, and its presence can’t be discernible through ordinary observation.

Q: Where can I not take my handgun?

A: Handguns and other weapons can not be carried at schools or on school buses, at polling places, in courts and court offices, at racetracks and at secured airport areas. The law also specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold if more than half of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption, and from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place. You may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks or at government meetings if signs are posted prohibiting them. Businesses also may post signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws.

Q: Can I carry a handgun when I am drinking?

A: According to the Texas Penal Code, it is unlawful for an individual who is intoxicated to carry a handgun. It is important to note that the Penal Code defines “intoxicated” as not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance in the body. Additionally, the Penal Code considers having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher to constitute intoxication.

Q: Do police officers have the right to disarm me?

A: Yes. Any time an officer feels a safety risk exists, he or she may disarm you.

Q: Do private property owners have the right to exclude license holders from their property?

A: Yes. Private property owners may give notice excluding license holders from carrying concealed handguns. If you carry a concealed handgun on posted property, you can be charged with criminal trespass by a license holder. The charge is a Class A misdemeanor, and if you are convicted, your license will be revoked.

Q: If I don’t want guns in my business, what type of signs should I post?

A: If you want to prohibit license holders from carrying concealed handguns on your property, state law requires you to post a sign that says: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun.” The sign must be written in both English and Spanish in contrasting block letters at least one inch in height, and must be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Q: If I drive to a shopping mall that does not permit handguns, will I be allowed to park in the parking lot and leave my gun in the car?

A: If the parking lot is not posted with the sign described above, handguns may be left in cars.

Q: Can I carry my handgun to a shooting range without a license?

A: Yes, if you are traveling directly to the range and back home.

Q: If my handgun is on the seat beside me, am I still considered to be “carrying?”

A: Yes. The statute refers to carrying a gun “on or about” your person. Texas courts generally have considered this to include any gun within your reach, including one stored in your glove compartment.

Q: If I am not carrying my handgun, must I still carry my license?

A: No. Under the concealed handgun law, you are only required to have your license with you whenever you are carrying your handgun.

Q: What type of gun will I be able to carry?

A: You may carry any type of legal, concealed handgun you are qualified to use. You must demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of .32 caliber or above to qualify for a concealed handgun license.

Q: If licensed, can I carry more than one handgun?

A: The law does not limit the number of guns you may carry as long as they are all concealed.

Q: Can instructors teach anywhere in the state or only in a particular geographic area?

A: They are certified to teach anywhere in Texas.

Q: How long is a license valid?

A: An initial CHL expires on the license holder’s first birthday following the four-year anniversary of the issuance of the license. In other words, an initial license is valid for four (4) years, and in many cases, for some additional months. All renewed licenses are valid for five (5) years.

Q: Can I carry my handgun in Texas State Parks and National Parks in Texas?

A: According to correspondence recieved from Park Information Texas Parks and Wildlife,Customer Service Center, A person can carry a loaded concealed handgun in Texas State Parks with a current and valid CHL license at anytime.

On February 22nd, 2010 it became legal when visiting National Parks to carry loaded firearms in the same manner and to the same extent that such carry is legal in the state parks of the state in which the National Park is located.


Please remember that you must continue to follow all CHL rules while carrying in State and National Parks. Keep in mind that even In National Parks where carry is permitted the law continues to prohibit carry in federal facilities and buildings located in such parks. So, carry is still banned in park visitor centers, ranger stations and administrative buildings and offices staffed by federal employees. Also, the National Park Service will likely take a broad interpretation of “federal facility.”


If you need further information, please contact the Law Enforcement Division for Texas Parks and Wildlife.

location & hours

2865 SW Wilshire Blvd. | Burleson, TX 76028
(817) 295-3373 |
Mon - Fri 10am - 7pm | Sat 10am - 7pm (Range opens at 11am)
Sunday 12 noon - 6pm
Tuesdays Ladies Shoot Free 5-7pm

upcoming special events